Fight climate change.
You can do both in an hour or less
You could help feed hundreds of people in less time than it takes to watch an episode of TV.
BECOME A FOOD RECOVERY DRIVER
We partner with ChowMatch, an app that smartly pairs food donations with volunteers and recipients that feed hungry people.
It’s simple to sign up and you can recover food whenever it’s convenient, or set up a weekly schedule.
“I grew up with a mother who taught me at a young age to not waste food. Now as an adult I am so happy to be a part of an organization that helps put food on people’s plates that would otherwise end up in the garbage.”
– Jocelyn, Food Recovery Volunteer
- To get started, all you need is a car and a little bit of time.
- You can sign up alone or with friends and family and have an option to volunteer as they’re able to or set up a weekly pickup.
- If signing up with a group for a weekly pickup, you can recover food together or take turns every week.
- Ready to make a difference? Join us through ChowMatch.
Other Ways to Get Involved
- Find other volunteering opportunities on our board at VolunteerMatch
- We graciously accept financial donations. Your contribution means we can continue to make sure that more hungry people are fed and to fight the devastating impact of food waste on climate change.Visit our Donate page for more information
- Got food? We want to hear from you! Check out our Donate page to learn how to donate your extra goods and earn financial incentives in the process.
Anyone with a valid driver’s license, a vehicle, and personal auto insurance. Minors are able to volunteer with someone over 18, such as a parent or guardian.
Yes! We will work with minors if they need to earn credit for community service.
Volunteers are able to recover food whenever it’s convenient or set up a weekly schedule. Food deliveries typically take less than an hour and can feed dozens of people.
We offer a food safety program that will teach volunteers everything they need to know about food recovery. This includes food safety guidelines and a short safety quiz to ensure volunteers are ready to recover!
When a donor has food they would like recovered, the app sends out a notification to volunteers based on their notification preferences and location. Drivers are then able to accept the donation if they’d like, and they’ll be smartly paired with a nearby recipient.
Alternatively, a volunteer can turn off notifications and pop on to the app whenever it’s convenient to see what donations are currently available for pickup. They’re able to choose one or more as they’d like based on their preferences.
It also sets up schedules for our ongoing partner donors and volunteers, for those interested.
Yes! FoodCycle provides appropriate materials for safe food recovery.
By volunteering, you’re doing more than feeding people and saving the earth.
You’re changing the culture in Los Angeles.